Monday, August 4, 2014

Planting seeds of awareness

I had an interesting trip to the supermarket the other day. Madasun was napping and Morgun was watching Star Trek with her dad so I snuck out for quick shopping trip on my own, aka a mommy vacation.

As was shopping I heard the all too familiar sounds of a child having a meltdown. I smiled and said "Poor little guy is having a hard time. My daughter has some rough meltdowns" she looked at me and smiled and said "Thank you". I continued shopping. We seemed to keep bumping into each other and the more I saw the more I knew this little guy had Autism. I seen the puzzle piece ribbon on her purse. Watched her try to calm him, showing him pictures, signing, stroking his hair and so on. All the tactics I myself know all too well. I could see the stress, hear the whispers, and feel the anxiety of this poor mother who was trying to get through this shopping trip. I handed a couple of cards out to the people I saw starring and continued shopping.
We were then thrown together again by fate in the checkout line. I seen her start to cry so I walked over and offered a hug. Just then I heard the all to familiar words of  " you need to beat that kid's ass, he won't act like that after a good "whoopin"" I turned around and said "her little boy has Autism, and he cannot speak. Do you know what Autism is?" The man looked at me speechless and a bit embarrassed.

I told him about Autism, what many of us may encounter on a daily basis, and how the stares and snickers of people are not helpful. The conversation ended with him apologizing to the mother and her son. She gave me a hug and thanked me. I told her what I tell all my fellow Autism parents "Don't mention it. We have to stick together right!?" As we were waiting in checkout some people kept starring and before we could say anything that old man turned to one of them and said "her kid has Autism, give him a break. Starring won't help."

That got me, the feeling I felt can't be put into words. I have many times had to stop and educate people about Autism while in public, but never witnessed them turning and doing the same right after. I could ignore them and walk on but what would that do? I choose to educate them because maybe, just maybe they will learn and they will be accepting, and pass it on.

If you plant a seed a tree might grow. If you plant a bunch of seeds a forest will grow. It was amazing to witness this man who was just blind to Autism a few short minutes ago stand up for the very mother and child he had judged. I believe this is our job as parents to children with Autism, as friends to people affected by Autism, as advocates, to teach society and to teach understanding and compassion so that maybe one day someone will offer a helping hand or an encouraging word rather than a judgmental comment or stare.

No comments:

Post a Comment